A Drop in the Ocean
Disney Movie – The Little Mermaid
Strawberry Singh has handed us an easy meme this week about how we communicate with others in our sl lives. Rules and etiquettes of real life often cease to exist as we interact within a virtual world. The way we converse with one another is such a situation. The majority of my daily conversations rarely take place face to face, avatar to avatar. Usually we are far apart upon the grid whilst the conversation flows. As there is no visual reminder a common practise that I have been guilty of myself but dislike, is when the person becomes distracted and just stops talking, leaving a hanging IM box waiting for words, even if it is just a goodbye.
Communication is a key to SecondLife. Whether it is making friends, developing relationships, corresponding with store owner/customers, addressing rules and expectations as sim owners and visitors. If we cannot communicate effectively we bring ourselves unnecessary stress and those around us confusion.
I see myself as a generally happy-go-lucky, friendly person and one of the greatest joys of SecondLife for me is meeting and talking with others from around the globe. Even when language can be an obstacle I attempt to use a translator and take enjoyment from what is often a humourous conversation due to translation.
Never have I been one to sit and watch local chat scroll by, instead preferring to be one of the voices encouraging others to join in as conversation bounces back and forth. I hate the use of gestures and often feel that it stops those willing to participate in active conversation. If you are want to prove you are at the keyboard, instead of throwing out a gesture try talking!
I love words. They are gemstones of wisdom. They are the connection we have to one another. When thoughts and imaginations combine the effects can be deeper than any ocean. There is a happiness within when we are a participant in a flowing conversation. Unless it is a break up conversation .. then think rough seas and pirates!
- Who did you speak to last inworld today? My sl sister, Alexa Maravilla.
- Who has taught you most about SL? RatbagOz was my guiding light of “how to” for many years.
- Who do you turn to for help? For fashion, decor, marketplace or general help tracking an item down … I always turn to Alexa. My bro Frankx gets all my curly scripting and building questions. I am extremely lucky to have a varied list of people on my friends list who excel in building, modeling, photography, sim questions, SL entertainment that if I need help I am usually able to find someone.
- Who is the most entertaining person on your friend list? I have to say I cannot pick one sole person for as I scan my friends list it appears obvious that I gravitate towards intelligent people with wicked senses of humour. I will say however that the special people who make up my SL family are the ones who bring the most giggles to my life and certainly keep me entertained with their antics.
- Do you speak to your SL friends outside of SL? Most of my communication is within SL although a very few select special people can contact me via email or chat programs.
- Are you part of a community or family inworld? I have an ever-growing SL family. I seem to adopt those special people who I never want to leave my life. Apparently it is more sociably acceptable than keeping them handcuffed under my house. On contemplation about that … I dunno. My one rule however is that I am always the youngest. This probably stems from being the eldest in RL and wanting to enjoy a little irresponsibility of being the baby of the group. There have been others who have since left sl that have held special family roles within my SL like my sister Anee is no longer able to access SL but has been my online sister for over 8 years with daily conversations in gmail. My sl dad’s Trav and Micah are both dearly missed in my day to day life. Those however still around to put up with my antics include: my eldest sister DanielleEloise who has been a constant in my life since 2008. My bro Frankx has had me in his ear since early 2010. My beautiful sister Alexa came into my life in 2011 because I knew it was destiny when she was able to fashionably wear a box on her head in Frank Jazz Club. 2012 bought into my life my wonderful mom Dremmy, who I adore and simply cannot think of life without her. She is my ears when I need to talk, my shoulder when I need to cry and my kick up the butt when I need to get on with it! Surprisingly earlier this year came the addition of my flamboyant “older” twin brother Paris who in such a short time has already given me a lifetime of giggles.
- Are you usually around a lot of people or do you spend most of your time alone inworld? When in SL I spend most of my time in IM’s. There is rarely a moment when there isn’t some conversation happening with my family members. Given the hours I am inside sl I feel I have a 50/50 split on a weekly average of venturing out into the world, be it visiting friends, attending live music events, spending lindens at shopping and charity events or simply scouring the grid for new dance partners. The flip side to this is the hours I spend alone either curled up on my hanging basket or flopped on my beach chair watching the sunset to the many hours and various stages of nakedness on my build platform as I sort out inventory and inspiring blog photos.
Conversations are as varied as the people who share in them. They can bring us a sense of belonging, peak our interest, engage our senses and feelings and most importantly, make us laugh. In the end, it really doesn’t matter whether we spend our time alone or surround by others as long as our solo time isn’t being used as a mechanism to hide ourselves away out of fear of hurt or rejections. Emerging from a particularly painful breakup last year, I have learnt that removing yourself from the sea of conversation only keeps you trapped in sadness. Bring up an IM window today, throw out a hello and experience the pleasure of another’s company.
Outfit: PM – Lorelei Mermaid Outfit in Purple
Jewellery: EarthStones – Shells and Pearls Necklace – Iridescent
Hair: Truth – Leilani Streaked – Treacle
Eyelashes: Noya designs Vamp Eyelashes
Eyes: IKON Eternal Eyes – Dusk (ML)
Lipstick: Censored Teena Lipstick Red II
Nails: Candy Nail French Pink
Skin: LAQ Tasha2 – 04 Nougat Glow Skin
Location: Private Sim owned by Sita Writer
Pose – Starry Heaven Mermaid 4 from Mermaid Poses Pack
Location: Private Sim
Table – !!!!Follow us!! Submarine Dining – The Challenge May
NB: This table from Follow Us is one piece of a two-part setting. The seaside theme is perfect for any beach style home or underwater theme. The tiny pearls upon each plate setting add a touch of magic to this charming set that simply sings to my soul.
Location: Private Sim owned by Sita Writer