Get your Google on – Monday Meme
Twice a year I usually throw my real life and avatar names into Google search and see what links pop up. I have done this for as long as I can remember being online. It started out as a streak of vanity and self-interest yet as I’ve gotten older and more aware of data mining its become more a protective quest for preserving my privacy.
This weeks Monday meme from Strawberry Singh, delves deep into the Google search machine. Follow the instructions and have fun seeing what digital footprint you have left behind.
Meme instructions: Google your SL name and answer the following questions. . Optional: click over to Emily’s blog and do her Google challenge as well.
Before you start to answer these questions, open up a fresh browser and clear cache if you can. Make sure you are not logged into your Google account and it might even be better if you open up a incognito window.
- Google your Second Life name in “quotations” and share your results. When in quotations I only get a single hit for Irez.me however without quotations there are 2,920 results.
- What is the first link that comes up? The first link is to this blog http://www.secondimagination.wordpress.com
- Which link were you surprised to see? Really nothing outstanding, just links to blog postings, flickr photos and the usual secondlife groups such as profile pages and Bloodlines. Something interesting was a wish list for a jacuzzi I wanted back in 2010. For the record, yes, I bought it back then and it still lives in inventory.
- Click on the “Image” tab and tell us where the first 5 pictures listed are from. My first five photos are all photos that appear on my blog. Next are photo’s from Irez.me for the June Avatar Blogger Month Challenge I participated in.
- Click on the “more” tab and then click “news” and share your results. “No results containing all your search terms were found. Your search – purplebutterfly lykin – did not match any news results.” I knew I was boring, so this just confirmed it.
PART TWO (Questions from Emily)
Instructions: Google ourselves under both our real life name and our second life name and share what comes up. Here are my answers:
- How did the two digital footprints compare, and did that surprise you? Not at all. When it comes to online activity I make very conscious decisions. I choose to place information about PB online so she has a digital footprint. My very well-known decision to keep my real life private means not surprisingly there is nothing there.
- Does anyone interesting share your name? Not that I could find although there appears to be a restaurant in New York that shares my first name.
- Are you happy with the size of your digital footprint, or do you wish either one was larger/smaller? Having never embraced social media in my real life, I’m pleased to see there is nothing about me online. Shows that all my friends have respected my wishes and never “tagged” me with their Facebook addictions. LOL
- If you woke up/ logged in one morning to discover over night you had suddenly gained rock-star status, and everybody knew who you were and wanted to know what you were doing… what would you do? Given I really enjoy my quiet uneventful lifestyle. I would most certainly be a recluse type celebrity. The media would need to go old school detective and sift through my garbage to jigsaw together tid-bits of my life.
For those interested in reading the news article:
After weeks of intriguing clothing and disguises. It can be confirmed
that the sordid love affair between Purple Butterfly Lykin and the Colonel ended in an explosive rant this week.
With the menu options including sides of fries, coleslaw and potato and gravy. A distressed PB, in a crazy frenzy screamed, “I just want chicken!”.
Leaving empty handed of finger likin’ goodness she was last seen heading for Subway with her faithful company Snookums.
Her agent later remarked the distress was caused by diet constraints. That consuming carb heavy sides would result in difficulty to wear even large size mesh clothing relegating PB back to horrific system clothes and sculpts.
TrenchCoat: NikitaFride – Ladies Trench Coat Ice
Shoes: Similar – Cariddi Brown Shoe
Paparazzi by Stavin Carter (copy/transfer if anyone wishes to have a copy, just throw me an IM)
TuTys – Mesh Pet Carrier – Chiwawa (available on marketplace)
RageWorks – Glomp’in Lion Hat (bought at Zodiac for Leo round)
* Photo Pose: Starry Heaven Poses – Kipi 1 (With only a few days left to visit Candy Fair don’t miss out on purchasing this set of 5 poses for only 50L from the Starry Heaven Poses stall.)